Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Friday, April 28, 2006

Then and Now...



Atwer Abroba


Ebo Taylor Acoustinc Session

This will be the last blog on Ghanian music for a while. But this is one I have to put up. Because then man who made these two tracks is a close friend and because he's an amazing musician that deserves a little spotlight. Like so many musicians from West Africa, Ebo Taylor will most likely get little props for his contributions to the musical world. Some may come across his work in the "global grooves" or "world music " section at the local music store. I've been lucky to know the humble old man (although I hear he was far from humble during his young days) and can call him a friend. Perhaps one of the last few original Highlife musicians in Ghana, Ebo spends his time these days schooling younger generations of Ghanians on the old ways of Palm Wine guitar. These two tracks are just a big up to the old man. It's something I'll call Uncle Ebo then and now. The first is a track when Ebo was rockin' out throughout the gold coast and other funky parts of W. Africa. It's off the Soundway Records compilation Ghana Sounds and is one of my favorites. The second track is something Uncle Ebo threw down at my request. It's his palm wine interpretation of a recent Hiplife track. I hope you all enjoy these.