Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Friday, July 21, 2006

"Like Cocaine Straight from Bolivia. . ."



Wutang Clan-Method Man


Wutang Clan-C.R.E.A.M


Wu Tang Clan-Da Mysteries of Chessboxin'

A while back on my other blog I kicked off a series that I never followed up on. It was a top ten list of all time personal favorite LP's. Well now that I've got this audio blog I can keep up with it and provide the clips for you all to hear.

We'll kick it off fresh and say that this is the first one in this series. I have to stress-they are not in any order. In fact, now that I think of it, let's not even limit it to a top ten list. Let's just call it the Solid LP Selection. A tribute to well made LP's through out the history of music. What does it take to make the cut? The LP has to be solid all the way through, period.

So the very first Solid LP comes from the inner depths of the New York rap scene. Very few will dispute that Wu Tang Clan's first LP-Enter the Wu (36 Chambers) is one of the most well made and well put together rap LP's ever. In my opinion, this is still the Clan's best album to date. Not to say that there aren't other albums they put out that are solid-but this album is their most well produced, best arranged, and most lyrically ill.

I also have a sentimental attachment to this album, but few hip-hop heads don't. I'm sure all can remember the days when they played this tape over and over-at first trying to remember the lyrics and then to admire the crazy ill production. It was a good time for hip-hop, then they dropped this album and made it (hip-hop) better.

Most might say that the best tracks off of this LP are "C.R.E.A.M", for it's memorable lyrics and it's ill use of a tasty sample or maybe "Method Man" for the pure lyrical genius of Meth and the ill production that keeps your head nodding through as the track changes samples. But my personal favorite is "Da Mysteries of Chessboxin" because it is the best example of that edgy, raw, rapid fire team rapping that the Clan does so well . But the truth is every track on this LP is perfect. They all stand solid alone or together. This is one of hip-hop's heavyweights. . .period.