Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Aye, Aye, Saudade. . .




Os Novos Baianos-Preta Pretinha

There are very few cities in this world that rival my home town, New York City. Not London, not Accra, not Seoul, not San Juan, not even the romantic Paris have the charm, charisma, style, and attitude that comes with living in the big apple. You know how it is. . .New York to the heart, but got love for all. . .

But there is one city south of the equator that stole my heart away. São Paulo, a city that will confuse you into loving it. No one will ever tell you that the city is pretty. In fact, it might be one of the ugliest; most buildings are gray and look like something out of blade runner. But there is a mysterious magical charm to the city. These days I've been missing it a lot. The food, the great music, and most importantly the great people.

A good friend of mine who's living out in São Paulo recently sent me some pictures to make me jealous and to coxe me into coming back to visit the city (as if I needed a reason to go back to Brasil). . .in fact pictures are her business. She's a professional photographer and a damn good one. Autumn is the first friend I made while in São Paulo. She has one of the coolest jobs in the city (and maybe the world) and she's fucking amazing at what she does. Autumn you live the life. The picture up with this post is one of many in her collection. I chose it because it has an amazing shot of the Paulista skyline, but there also happens to be some eye candy in the shot. I forgot to mention, eye candy is Autumn's specialty. Check out what Autumn does here.

And now for the track. Os Novos Baianos are actually from Bahia, not São Paulo. They came out with several LP's, but the Acabou Chorare is without a doubt their most solid. It is an excellent fusion of traditional rhythms from northern Brasil (samba, forro, maracatu, ect.) with a little hint of psych rock. They pioneered the sound that groups like Naçao Zumbi have now made extremely popular. This track was one of my favorites when I was living the "good life" in Vila Mariana. Whenever I hear the song it reminds me of my friends and family in Brasil. This one is for all you.

"Aye, Aye, Saudade. . .não veng a mi matar."